Monday 2 April 2018

A - Z Challenge 2018 - B




The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is to post everyday (except Sunday) in the month of April 2018 starting with the letter A and going all the way to Z. The theme I chose is...
My Family Tree Places.






BROOKLYN, NY


We are back in New York, but this time I have a mystery in Brooklyn.
When I can't find any more info on Ancestry I try searching for my ancestors under Google Books. One of my cousins did this with Colonel Richard Seale of Ireland, who we knew died in Rathangan, Ireland in 1817 and was buried in Clonenagh Churchyard, Laois.
What she found was a complete surprise!

From The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant: November 1, 1870-May 31, 1871: 






It seems that our Col Richard Seale had a daughter (name unknown Seale) who married John M. Kelly, probably in Ireland, and they immigrated to Brooklyn, New York. In these letters John Kelly is pleading with Ulyssees S Grant to intercede on his behalf in claiming an inheritance he believes is due his wife from her fathers estate, when he died over 50 years ago!  This volume shows three letters Kelly wrote to Grant between 1871 and 1873. 




So the challenge now, is to find any descendants of this John M. Kelly and his wife of Brooklyn, NY and try to discover who the wife is and their history.



10 comments:

  1. This should keep you busy and out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be fun! Have you found John M. Kelly and his wife in a census yet? Too bad the name isn't more unique.

    http://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, there are too many John Kellys and I don't know enough about him. I'll have to give it another try!
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Lots of fascinating information in Google Books :)
    I think when John Kelly wrote the letter in 1871 his, Kelly’s, wife was deceased. Perhaps you could look in Irish newspapers for a marriage announcement or more clues. More and more newspapers are being digitised and they are very helpful. I find them through FindMyPast.
    Regards
    Anne
    https://ayfamilyhistory.com/2018/04/02/b-is-for-beatrix/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take a look again, it has been a long time since I looked at Irish newspapers. Thanks for the reminder, Anne.

      Delete
  4. I found Colonel Seale in 1813 selling a house, garden, offices complete with 11 acres of ground in Rathangan in 1813 https://search.findmypast.com.au/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001057%2f18130923%2f025

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's him! I'd better get busy! There was never anything in my ancestor's area before. Thanks so much Anne!

      Delete
  5. Interesting... I never thought to specifically search under google books, will give it a try. That's why it's good to read other blogs... you learn. Our immigrant ancestors were strong people, coming to foreign lands and growing a family. I can't imagine me doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you could if you had to. Moving across country to a new state or province and starting life over was almost the same. I always thought I should have been a pioneer... lol.
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home