Friday 6 April 2018

A - Z Challenge 2018 - F




The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is to post everyday (except Sunday) in the month of April 2018 starting with the letter A and going all the way to Z. The theme I chose is...
My Family Tree Places.





FYVIE, UK



Fyvie is an agricultural parish in the presbytery of Ellon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. 








April 6th is Tartan Day!




Fyvie Castle was the site of an open court held by Robert the Bruce. In 1390 it ceased to be a royal stronghold and fell into the possession of five successive families, each adding another tower to the castle. The Gordon clan (my Mavors are a sept of the Gordons), was the fourth owner and they added a tower in 1778.   It is now owned by the National Trust of Scotland.

Fyvie Castle - Home of my Bruce Clan and my Gordon Clan
(google map image)


\
My 5x and 4x great grandfathers were farmers of 108 Scotch acres at Lethenty Farms.

Robert Bruce of Lethentie was on the list of those who paid a farm horse tax for 1797-1798. On 31 August he paid 4s for 2 horses at 2s duty each







My Bruce ancestors are buried in the Fyvie Churchyard




Stone 107, lying flat on the ground



                                             MEMORIAL
In memory of ROBERT BRUCE late farmer in Lethenty, d. 9th July 1783 aged 82
His spouse MARGARET KENNADY died 2nd Nov 1785 aged 80
Their sons FRANCIS died 27th Feb 1769 aged 41 and
ROBERT likewise farmer in Lethenty died 27th Apr 1812 aged 71,
his spouse ISOBEL DUNCAN died 24th June 1819 aged 64.
Their son ROBERT BRUCE farmer Knaven, New Deer died 25th Jan 1860 age 69,
his spouse AGNES RANNIE died 21st Nov 1876 aged 85. 
GEORGE their son died there 14th Aug 1857 aged 24.
JOSEPH BRUCE died Knaven Cottage, Maud 16th Jan 1904 aged 63
ISABELLA BRUCE died there 22th Nov 1905 aged 83.
       

Now to try and find more on my Rannie (Rainey) ancestors. So far they have been elusive!





4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have a Bruce in my line but I have done absolutely nothing on that family. The oldest one that I know of married a Frazier. That says Scotland all day! Who knows - we might be related and can claim a stone off that tower as our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great... I'd be honoured to call you cousin!

      Delete
  2. How exciting to trace your family so far back. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home